Saturday, January 12, 2013

Homemade Guacamole

Guacamole is at the top of my list of favorites! I think it might be possible I have too many favorites....hmmm....problems!  Homemade guacamole is so easy to make and it is better for you than buying it premade or buying the package of seasoning since those things can have added naughtiness you don't need!

In the last couple years I have really come to love having guacamole as a burger topping, especially when we are eating strict and not having a bun for our burgers. Usually we stick to turkey or veggie burgers but I picked up some of these chicken burgers at Trader Joe's when we were there last weekend.

The ingredient list is not too shabby for these chicken burgers. Ground chicken, onions, bell peppers, garlic, cilantro, natural flavor, salt, lime juice concentrate, and red pepper flakes. I just heated them up in a skillet and they tasted great. You can also broil them or grill them. One burger is only 150 calories!

So let's get down to business. You need to ripe avocados.

Scoop out the avocado into a bowl.

Mash that yummy goodness up with a fork. I like my guacamole a bit on the chunky side but if you prefer it really smooth then go ahead and break out a small food processor.

 To help with not only the flavor but to keep it from browning to quickly.

 Okay so I have played around with the seasoning a lot people! I have added a little of this and that, made it spicier sometimes with cayenne pepper or Franks, tried adding onion powder, pepper, salsa, regular salt, tomatoes, etc. and these are my final four. We all have preferences of course so choose what you like best but I even measured this out last time, which is painful for me you know, so I could give exact quantities for those of you who really need that. Do you feel the love????

 So add your seasonings to the bowl and give it a good mix. 

 Add a couple big spoonfuls to your burger and enjoy! I promise you will not miss the bun! We had fresh veggies and hummus on the side this week since we are eating to lose weight right now but we also love to serve this kind of thing with sweet potato fries! 

Just a little tip. I am sure you have all heard to place the pit of your avocado in with your guacamole to keep it from browning. I have tried this many times and I don't think it really works that well. The lime juice definitely helps. Not having too ripe of avocados certainly helps. But I think the easiest thing is to just smooth out your guacamole nice and flat as best as you can in whatever dish you are using. Then when you are ready to use it just scrap that very thin layer off the top and you will have nice green guac underneath.

Homemade Guacamole
2 ripe avocados
juice of one lime
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. chili powder

Directions: Mash avocado in a small bowl with a fork. Add lime juice and seasonings. Mix well. Serve immediately or let sit in fridge for 30 minutes for flavors to blend.

1 comment:

Blog27999 said...

Your Affiliate Money Making Machine is ready -

And earning money online using it is as easy as 1...2...3!

Follow the steps below to make money...

STEP 1. Tell the system what affiliate products you want to promote
STEP 2. Add some push button traffic (it takes JUST 2 minutes)
STEP 3. See how the system explode your list and sell your affiliate products all by itself!

Are you ready to make money automatically??

You can test-drive the system for yourself risk free...