Saturday, July 28, 2012

Egg Cups for Breakfast

Last Saturday I finally got around to making a recipe that I have been meaning to make for over two and a half years. Yep, that long. I have no idea why it took me so long. I meant to make them when I was doing my strict two week South Beach Diet cleanse and then again when Miles decided to get on board the weight loss train. The SBD recipe actually calls them Vegetable Quiche Cups To Go (if you are looking for their recipe) and mine ended up being slightly different but basically the same concept.

Easy. Convenient. Leftovers for a couple days. Freezable.

They were also very delicious and a nice change of pace from my usual egg over easy or scrambled egg or egg whites that I have been eating lately.

So here is what you do........

Start by sauteing a bit of spinach in a tiny bit of olive oil.

It wilts done pretty small so don't be alarmed. I didn't want to over do the spinach because Miles doesn't really love cooked spinach but we all know I need these kinds of things to have a little bit of green something plus it ups the nutrition value.

I used 6 regular eggs and then added about 1/2 cup egg white as well.

These were my veggies of choice. Green pepper, tomato, and onion. But all kinds of other things would work well too. Just be sure to dice it up very small.

Feta was my cheese of course. It adds such tremendous flavor. But I know some of you aren't in love with feta as much as I am so choose a low fat cheese that you do like. You could do these with a southwest flair and add reduced fat pepper jack!

I dumped all of those ingredients into the bowl with the eggs and whisked it around. Then I poured the eggs into my muffin tin. ALERT: BIG MISTAKE! I did spray the tin lightly with cooking spray but these bad boys stuck like petrified oatmeal you didn't rinse before putting in the dishwasher. TROUBLE! Even after soaking the pan for most of the day I couldn't get that pan clean. So when I looked up the recipe it says to use foil muffin cups and to spray them. I am guessing spray them heavily.
Also, next time I will add the feta individually to each cup. It sunk to the bottom of my bowl and didn't get distributed evenly among the egg cups.

Baked for 15 minutes in a 350 degree oven. They puffed up nicely but then did a little sinking after sitting on the counter for a few minutes. I think there is no avoiding that.

We each enjoyed a couple with a slice of sprouted grain toast topped with sugar free jam. We hadn't eaten bread in almost two weeks so it was a nice addition to our eggs.

The best part however was that I ate them for breakfast for the next two mornings.
Cook once. Eat thrice.

I think I could even make some more simple combinations that the kids would like for those busy school mornings. Well at least one of my kids. One does not care for eggs and complains that they stink every time we make them. The other would love it if I made eggs and toast every morning.

So don't be stupid and wait 2 1/2 years to make these like I did.


Now just for fun. Did you see the movie Brave? We saw it while in Spokane on vacation. This is what happened when we came home.
My own little Merida with a bit of crazy hair to match the real Merida!

This is Evan's bow and arrows. I got them at the Spokane craft fair almost 3 years ago. They really haven't been played with much but they have been resurrected now.

I actually took this picture first through the glass door so she wouldn't notice. She was being rather funny. I am sure there was some interesting conversation going on. She really had pretty good aim and was shooting it super far. I love things like this. I love to watch my kids when they don't know I am looking!

Enjoy your day!

Baked Egg Muffin Cups

1/2 - 1 cup spinach sauteed in olive oil until wilted
1/2 cup diced tomato
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup diced green pepper
6-8 eggs + 1/2 cup egg whites optional (if using only 6 eggs use the extra egg white)
1/2 cup feta or cheese of choice
salt and pepper to taste

Crack eggs and whisk in a bowl. Add extra egg white if using and whisk. Add all other ingredients except cheese and stir gently but well. Place foil lined muffin cups into muffin tin and grease well. Pour egg mixture into each cup and then add cheese individually to each muffin. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Serve hot. Refrigerate or freeze any leftovers.

2 comments:

Bernice said...

They look yummy.

Faith is growing up so fast. She looks taller. <3

Anonymous said...

That's really interesting. Thanks for posting all the great information! Had never thought of it all that way before.