Saturday, January 28, 2012

Cake for Breakfast?????

I just ate the best breakfast! It was fast, very healthy, fun, delicious, chocolaty, new, gluten free, and pretty much was like eating cake for breakfast with absolutely no guilt. Evan was very sad that he had poured himself a bowl of cereal after I gave him a bite so that means WINNER!

I found this recipe on a blog called "The Edible Perspective." That is the same place I found the recipe for french toast oatmeal that was so yummy. There are several versions of what Ashley has named Buckwheat Bakes, some microwaveable and some oven baked, but this morning I picked the Quick Cocoa Buckwheat Bake. I have been wanting to try these for some time but keep forgetting to pick up some buckwheat flour. Yesterday I remembered and this morning was bliss.

Can you believe this is completely 100% healthy? Can you also believe that I cooked it in the microwave in less than 2 minutes? Totally.in.love.

Totally simple to make too. Mix your wet ingredients; applesauce, milk, and vanilla together in a small dish.

Mix your dry ingredients together; buckwheat flour, cocoa, flax, cinnamon, a little Stevia if you wish and baking powder. I left the Stevia out of mine and it was just fine. Then add the wet to the dry and stir them up well.

Pour mixture into a greased ramekin. Mine is a bit of a larger ramekin. It is about 4 inches across and 2 inches deep. So use something similar to that size. Put this in the microwave for about 1:30 to 1:45 seconds.

Ta-Da! Magic healthy cake happens! But of course I couldn't leave it like this!

So I picked Barney Butter. This is Miles' favorite almond butter. He thinks it doesn't have as much oil and it is stick to your ribs good. It does have a great flavor but sadly I did have to order this online at OpenSky. I also picked walnuts for crunch and drizzled a little agave over it for sweetness. Brown rice syrup or maple syrup would also be divine!

See the lovely moist chocolate cake texture! Evan took a couple bites of mine and loved it which completely thrills me! This is fast enough to make every morning for breakfast, especially if I measure out the dry ingredients the night before, and it is super healthy.  Goodbye to cereal kids?? Plus with endless toppings and combinations it will be very versatile. I will try the vanilla and banana combination next. I should also add that is was very filling. That was the husband's comment not mine!

Word of advice: DON'T WAIT SO STINKIN' LONG TO MAKE THESE! I missed out by not picking up that flour weeks ago. I have a certain very picky friend who I think would totally love these! You know who you are!


Go on over to Edible Perspective Buckwheat Bakes for all the recipes. Some are microwavable and some are for the oven so pay attention to that!
Here is the recipe for the one I made today. The only change I made was to add a little Stevia to Miles' just to see the difference. Since these are made individually you can completely customize them!

Quick Cocoa Buckwheat Bake
  • 1/3c raw buckwheat flour [ground from raw groats] (just buy it ground)
  • 2t ground flax meal
  • 1T unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 3T unsweetened applesauce
  • 5T nut milk
  • 1/2t vanilla extract
  • 1/2t cinnamon
  • 1/4t baking powder
  1. In a small bowl, mix the dry ingredients together.
  2. Add in applesauce, milk, and vanilla and stir until smooth and just combined.
  3. Lightly grease a microwave safe bowl [mine is about 4-5” diameter], pour the batter into the bowl and evenly spread.
  4. Microwave for 1min 30sec – 2min.  [mine took 1m45s]
  5. Loosen the edges, flip onto a plate + pile on the toppings.
*In my older versions I always added 1T raw buckwheat groats + 1T chia seeds.  You can definitely do that here, but also add 1T extra milk.

Thank you Edible Perspective for making my day start with chocolate cake!! My belly is very happy!