Thursday, January 26, 2012

Whole Wheat Zucchini Muffins

Remember that bag of leftover zucchini I had from making stuffed zucchini last week........

Well it was time to use it today! I took it out of the freezer yesterday and let it thaw out in the fridge so I could make some muffins today.

I already had my food processor out so I decided to throw it all in there today but this works perfectly well by hand also. Toss in one egg and a teaspoon of vanilla and beat together or give it a whirl in the food processor.

This is what I use to sweeten these muffins so add 1/3 cup applesauce and 1/2 - 3/4 cup Stevia. If you use 1/2 a cup you may want to add a little agave or honey as well. Stevia can sometimes have a bit of an aftertaste so if that really bothers you then mix it with a bit of regular sugar. Toss them in your bowl with the egg.

I drained the excess water from the zucchini and then added it to the processor.

Since I was just dumping things in today I went ahead and added these dry ingredients to the wet and mixed them in. If you are mixing by hand you can mix all the dry ingredients together and then add to the wet.
Then add 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour. I have done a lot of experimenting with different types of wheat flour and I prefer this recipe to just be straight whole wheat flour, not pastry or white whole wheat. Toss this in and mix but be careful to not over mix if you are using the food processor.

If your batter seems a bit thick you may have drained off too much of the excess water from the zucchini so just add a bit of milk. I actually didn't have quite enough zucchini, making my batter a bit thick, so I added a bit of almond milk this time. If you are making these with the pecans or walnuts then stir them in at this point.

I decided to make these mini today for two reasons. The first is always the same and that is that people just like mini things better. If I made this a loaf I would bet a hundred dollars that I would end up throwing away the last 3 pieces. The second reason is that they cook much faster. Only 15 minute to deliciousness!

They puff up so nicely! I drizzled a bit of agave over the top of half of these before I cooked them just to see what would happen. It doesn't really make a difference though so drizzle some on afterwards while they are warm and right out of the oven.

Mmmmm...... and look the sun was shining through the window so my picture wasn't so dark and I could shoot in manual mode.

Now I am all ready for those munchkins when they come home from school and say, "Can I have a snack????" Well maybe I will be ready......that is if I don't eat them all before then. Two muffins down the hatch already and I am about to eat two more. I guess that is the one downside of making these mini. It is hard to stop eating them.

Whole Wheat Zucchini Muffins with Pecans
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup Stevia plus 1/4 cup Agave nectar or 3/4 cup Stevia
1 1/2 cups grated zucchini (squeezed, then packed into measuring cup)
1/3 cup applesauce
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional

Preheat oven to 350F. Grate zucchini by hand or using a food processor, then gently squeeze grated zucchini to remove some of the water. Measure 1 1/2 cups (packed) zucchini for this recipe, and if you have extra, freeze it for another time.

In a medium-sized bowl, beat egg, then add vanilla, Stevia and Agave and mix to combine. Stir in the grated zucchini, then the applesauce. Sprinkle baking soda and salt over the top of this and mix.

In a smaller bowl, combine whole wheat flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir dry ingredients into the zucchini mixture, then fold in chopped pecans.

Spray muffin pan or loaf pan with non-stick spray, then divide batter evenly among cups to make 24 mini muffins or pour into loaf pan. Bake for 15 minutes for mini muffins and -30 minutes or longer for a loaf pan or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool then remove from muffin pan or slice loaf.



No comments: