Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Roasted Chicken Sausage and Veggies

Cooler weather.
Fall in the air.
Pumpkins and apples.
Leaves changing color.
Comfort food.
We all love it, right?

Comfort food however doesn't really have a reputation for being healthy.
Something healthy to the rescue please! (and I'm in a hurry)
Enter last nights dinner.......

All the familiar vegetables.

Diced up quickly and placed in a 9 X 13 pan.

Drizzled with a little olive oil and stirred to coat the veggies.

Replacement for the fatty roast...chicken sausage!

I used all 5 of them and diced them up like this.

Seasoning. I picked this garlic and herb but you could choose whatever you like best. I have even done this with a little balsamic vinegar which is very tasty.

And since it is salt free I also added a bit of these good old standbys.

Of course I didn't measure again. Just sprinkle your main seasoning generously all over the top and add a bit of salt and pepper. Then give it a good stir and place in a 400 degree oven for 45 minutes to roast or until potatoes reach desired tenderness.
Also, give it a stir half way through.

Mmmmm.......Goodness! I love the way the sausage gets a crispy outside when you cook it this way. Comfort food tooth satisfied! I also love how quickly you can prepare this and walk away to finish whatever else you are working on (perhaps painting the trim and door frames all the way down the hall, ugh!) while it cooks.

We had some delicious green beans and sliced apples, oranges, and pears on the side. Which by the way, also took me about 5 minutes to prepare.

Two things I also love besides the quick preparation:
1. My kitchen was very clean since I dumped it all in one pan.
2. Leftovers. I can't wait for lunch today!

The other super great thing is that this is a low calorie meal. If you divide it up into 10 servings you come in around 125 calories per serving. Not bad at all. I happily helped myself to a large serving! So on the next cool evening forget the fatty roast and give this comfort food a try. I promise you will love it!


Roasted Chicken Sausage with Veggies
4 carrots, diced
4 stalks celery, diced
1 large onion, chopped in large chunks
8 small red potatoes, diced with skin left on
5 chicken sausages, sliced into rounds
Garlic and herb seasoning (or seasoning of choice)
salt and pepper
olive oil

Directions: Place all veggies in a 9 X 13 pan and drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Toss to coat veggies. Add chicken sausage. Sprinkle seasoning over the top generously. Add a dash of salt and pepper and stir to cover. Place in a 400 degree oven for approximately 45 minutes or until potatoes reach desired tenderness. (Stir at halfway point.)

Note: Potatoes are on the Dirty Dozen list so make sure to scrub them very well since you will be leaving the skin on. Otherwise, buy organic.

No comments: