Thursday, October 6, 2011

Flat Bread Pizza

So I needed another quick meal tonight. When does a person not need that? I guess maybe when my kids are out of the house. Maybe not even then because I will not want to waste all my free time in the kitchen of course! The kids and I are home without Miles who is gone speaking at the Christian school's fall retreat. So since I get to be both parents tonight I wanted dinner to be quick, easy, and something the kids would really like so I didn't have to take time for any coaxing and could get on with the baths and the homework and the cleaning up.

This is really simple and hopefully you will have the ingredients on hand and won't have to buy too much.
Start with some whole wheat flour tortillas. These were excellent ones from Trader Joes. They were thicker but still light.

I guess I should have said start by preheating the oven and the cookie sheet at the same time to 400 degrees. Then brush or spray the cookie sheet with a little olive oil and put the tortillas in the oven. You will need to flip them over every few minutes until they get crispy. I think this took about 10 minutes and I flipped 3 or 4 times.

The edges will start to curl up like this and then they are ready to come out.

For the kids I just kept it real. Their favorite pizza sauce with lots of healthy tomatoes, reduced fat cheese, and turkey pepperoni. They gobbled these up quickly.

But for me it had to be a little more interesting of course!

After I crisped them up, I spread them with hummus, drizzled a little olive oil, and sprinkled it with some Cavendar's Greek Seasoning. Then I topped it with some feta and put it back in the oven for about a minute just to warm the feta up a little. Then I topped it with the rest of the delicious ingredients and it looked like this....

I added chopped lettuce for some great crunch, chopped up Kalamata olives, and a little more feta. It was sooooooo good!

Glad I made two of them even though Miles wasn't here because I promptly ate that second one without a thought otherwise.

This recipe is a keeper. I found it at Kalyn's Kitchen the other day and thought it would make a great lunch but guess what? It makes a great light dinner as well. We also had a bowl full of grapes. The kids asked if we had any frozen grapes left. After having some on a very hot day at the Minnesota State Fair the kids have fallen in love with frozen grapes. So I told them I would put the leftover grapes in the freezer. They make a great healthy snack! So give the flat bread pizza and the frozen grapes a try. Now would someone please get those kids to bed!


No comments: