Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Black Bean Chili Dip

I am becoming a recipe stealer. Sometimes that is just easier. Who am I kidding? It is always easier than trying to be creative and come up with your very own recipe. Plus when I made stole, the recipe for Spicy Shredded Crock pot Chicken from Kalyn's Kitchen she, a real big time blogger, left me a comment. I was so excited and a little scared that I had screwed something up or that she would scold me for stealing her recipe and blogging about it. But she was just thankful that I enjoyed it and that I had credited her properly with a link to her website. Whew! It was a little like that feeling you would get when the phone rang in your classroom in Jr. high or high school. Even though you knew you hadn't done anything you were still worried it was the Principal's office calling for you for some reason. I hated that feeling!

So the recipe stealer was at it again! But this time I stole from Oh She Glows. Don't they say to steal from the best? These are two of my favorite healthy food blogs. Maybe you should just follow them instead of me. Go there now for better pictures for sure! Black Bean Chili Dip

Get to the recipe for pitty's sake!

Guess what?
I followed the recipe.
I measured. 
It's a miracle.

Start by sauteing some onion and garlic in a little olive oil.

Add some diced jalapeno. Make it easy on your self and buy it in a jar already diced up or you can be really good and get a fresh jalapeno. This is what really adds the kick so if you are a baby about spicy foods like me go easy.

After a few minutes add one can of drained and rinsed black beans, 1 cup of your favorite salsa, and 1 cup of frozen corn. Don't thaw out the corn. It will cook right up with all the ingredients. No worries.

After that has cooked a few minutes add these spices. Oh She Glows is a vegan blog so that is the main reason for the nutritional yeast. Vegans use it for a source of protein and vitamins but I am all for adding some extra protein and vitamins even if I am not a vegan.  It has a nutty and cheesy flavor to it. So this ingredient is optional for you but Miles did remark on the flavor of this dish being unique so perhaps it was this little extra ingredient! You will need one tablespoon of nutritional yeast, 2 tsp. of the chili powder, 1 tsp. of the cumin, and 1/2 tsp. salt. 

Just stir those spices around in there and continue to let this heat up for about 10 minutes or so. This gives the flavors time to blend together nicely.

Now you can just place this goodness in a bowl and serve with your favorite chips and recommended toppings on the side or you can make a few serving changes like we did.

Instead of just dipping chips in we layered chips in the bottom of these pie tins, topped with the bean dip and a bit of cheese, (no longer vegan, oops!) and put them in the oven for about 5 minutes. When they were done we topped them with the recommended toppings Angela gave on her blog, green onion, avocado, and cilantro.
AMAZING!

So since we wrecked the "vegan-ness" of this dish I figured why not add a little sour cream on top also. I like to mix a little sour cream with some Greek yogurt sometimes too for a little tangier taste and more nutrition.

I made this dish again for small group on Sunday evening and switched it up again. I followed the recipe but then put it in a round baking dish and spread some cheese over the top and then baked it for 10 minutes at 400 degrees. Nice golden cheesy goodness. I brought all the toppings along in a separate dish for each individual to top how they liked on their own plate. (I forgot to take pictures. Darn.)

And if three ways to eat it aren't enough, Miles used the leftovers in his eggs both times I made this dish. We would be terrible vegans.

Now file this recipe away for holiday gatherings and Superbowl fare or get busy making fun weekend food on a Wednesday evening! I promise all will love it!

Black Bean Chili Dip
2 small onions chopped (or about 1.5 cups)
1 clove garlic
diced jalapeno (add as much or little as you like or use 1 jalapeno seeded and chopped)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
3/4 -1 cup mild salsa
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast (optional)
olive oil
Optional Toppings: cilantro, avocado, green onion, cheese

Directions:
In a large skillet saute onions and garlic in a bit of olive oil over medium heat until onion begins to brown. Add in diced jalapeno and cook a few more minutes. Add black beans, corn, and salsa all at once and stir to combine. Cook for a few minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, salt, and nutritional yeast. Reduce heat and continue cooking until heated through.

Serving Suggestions:
Place dip in a bowl and garnish with toppings of your choice. Serve with your favorite chips. We like Trader Joes Veggie and Flaxseed chips which they now have in spicy!

Place bean mixture in a baking dish and top with cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 10 minutes. Serve warm with toppings on the side.

Make an omelet or scrambled egg hash with any leftover bean dip.












1 comment:

Jenny said...

Why'd you have to go and ruin the vegan-ness of your recipe?!

You know I'm kidding. Sounds like a great recipe to "steal." We love our nachos around here.