Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin

Oh Pinterest! I hadn't let myself join because I knew it would be a time kill for me. But temptation seized me. If you know me at all Pinterest is totally me! Everything you love and that inspires you all organized by categories onto neat little boards that I can refer to at any point. Totally me. My organized brain is in total love. Why the rambling about Pinterest? Because that is where I found this wonderful recipe that has been quickly bumped to the top of the list of favorites!

I cooked my spaghetti squash first and shredded it onto a plate. For instructions on how to cook it see this link. Cooking Spaghetti Squash The Pinterest recipe said to cook it in the microwave. My problem was that I don't have a dish that would fit the squash and still fit in the microwave. So plan on the 40 minute cook time if you have that problem or make the squash a day ahead.

I cut up two smaller onions and sauteed them in 2 tablespoons butter. I actually used real butter this time. Use whatever you like. Olive oil works great too. I also added a dash of cayenne pepper to the onions. I had to go easy on that for my sake and the sake of the children I was trying to make love this dish!

Cook them until they are starting to brown. I wish there was such a thing as a smell button. I love the smell of onions cooking.

I did make a few changes to the original recipe. I used 1/4 cup sour cream and 1/4 cup Greek yogurt instead of all sour cream. Not only do I love the tang it gives but it has more nutrition. Go for all yogurt if you dare!

I also changed the cheese. I used reduced fat marble jack and mozzarella which is naturally lower in fat. The recipe said 1/2 cup cheddar but by the time I topped it off with a little more cheese is was closer to one cup. The less you use the better of course for your waistline which is another good reason to use reduced fat.

I mixed the onions, yogurt, sour cream, and most of the cheese along with some parsley into a large bowl and stirred it around. The recipe called for thyme but I do not love thyme so I picked parsley but rosemary would be good too. A dash of salt and pepper at this point is adviseable also.

Place that in a dish to bake and spread evenly. I used my Pampered Chef round baker but a 2 quart casserole would be about the right size. Don't forget to top this with a little more cheese at this point.

I baked it for 20 minutes at 375 degrees. I wanted to let it get a little more crispy on top but I was in a hurry because Miles had to leave to speak at a meeting. I will do that for sure next time or just increase the temperature. My oven has issues.

We had french cut green beans and some raw veggies and hummus on the side. Being that our main dish was also a vegetable this was one very veggie night! We are eating phase 1 of South Beach for the next week at least and maybe into a second week. We have had way too many social engagements and taken too much liberty so we both need to sugar detox again and take off a few pounds!
 But...............
if we weren't in phase one some kind of nice crispy topping would be awesome on top of this. I am thinking some whole wheat bread crumbs would be divine. But we are totally in love with this new way to eat spaghetti squash even without the crispy top.

I think spaghetti squash is becoming a Halloween tradition. I made this last year on Halloween night.

We loved it served like traditional spaghetti also but Au Gratin is better!

I must go turn my little girl into a kitty and my kick my big kid off the video games so he can dress himself as a musician gangster. He looks more like a musician than a gangster to me. But the fact that he is wearing any costume is good enough for me since he hates costumes! He also hates carving pumpkins but Faith and I do not!


Spahetti Squash Au Gratin

1 spaghetti squash cooked and shredded
1 large onion or two small, diced
2 Tbsp. butter
dash of cayenne
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
1 cup reduced fat cheese (such as marble jack, mozzarella, or pepper jack)
1 Tbsp. parsley (thyme or rosemary will work also)
salt and pepper

Directions: Cook squash and shred when slightly cooled. Add butter to small pan and turn heat on to begin to melt. Add diced onion and cayenne pepper and cook until onions begin to brown. In a large bowl mix shredded spaghetti squash, onions, sour cream, Greek yogurt, 2/3 -3/4 cup of the cheese, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Place mixture in a 2 quart casserole dish and top with remaining cheese. Bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees or until cheese is beginning to brown and squash begins to crisp up.


No comments: