Thursday, December 1, 2011

Food in a Bowl

I have a thing for throwing some food in a bowl and calling it a meal. I like it to be fast you know. I like to do this for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It usually involves quinoa, yogurt, or oatmeal of some sort but I just never get tired of it. Another great thing about it is that it forces me to use up leftovers. Tonight for example I came upstairs and started cooking some quinoa at 5:13 not really knowing what I was going to make with it. I looked in the fridge and saw my leftover cranberry orange vinaigrette that needs to be used up and thought a fruity quinoa salad with some nuts will be great for dinner. Miles and I both said we weren't very hungry tonight. I didn't over eat today but ate a big salad for lunch and it keeps me full quite long. So it is now 5:38 and I am about to eat my dinner. Here is what is going into the salad tonight.

See it is forcing me to use up the sliced oranges I already had and that pear that won't be good too much longer. I also decided to add a little white wine vinegar and some agave just to sweeten it up a tad. Then the magic ingredient which I didn't take a picture of was CURRY! I love curry! It made the salad perfect.

It was bit like the cilantro and pineapple curried quinoa I already have a recipe for but the dressing made a nice change as did the pear and oranges.

This was my breakfast the other morning. Steel cut oats I soaked overnight and then cooked quickly in the morning. I added frozen blueberries, almonds, cinnamon, Stevia, and a drizzle of agave of course.

This is my "banana split" breakfast. I fill my bowl a couple big dollops of Greek yogurt and mix in some Stevia. I slice a banana up and top it with some of my homemade sugar free strawberry jam and some peanuts. Totally love this!

This was an awesome breakfast as well of Greek yogurt, quinoa, frozen peaches that I thawed a bit in the microwave, walnuts, and agave. I usually eat the blueberries most of the time but these peaches were such a delicious change.

In case you missed this one I tossed some brushetta in with my quinoa one night along with some spinach, mozzarella, and chicken sausage. Divine!

This was some pumpkin overnight oats mixed with pumpkin, yogurt, milk, and cinnamon and left in the fridge overnight. In the morning I topped it with some leftover apple strudel cake that was actually healthy and vegan, and some almonds and probably a little more agave just because I almost always do!

And this one was some Indian curried chicken with lentils that was very delicious! I will share this recipe soon because we all loved it and it was different than the Greek food I can't seem to get away from!

So open your fridge and get creative and use up your leftovers too!
I must now go watch Tuesday night's episode of the Biggest Loser!

No comments: