Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Soup, Salad, and Bread

Okay that's it! I am done with turkey for a while after tonight. Well, I will eat some leftover soup tomorrow for lunch only because it was so good but then that will be it! No more turkey for me for a while. Tonight I cooked my favorite way and threw everything in one pot to make a delicious soup.

I started again like I always do with chopped up celery, carrot, and onion, and a couple tablespoons of Earth Balance in my soup pot. Sweat the vegetables for about 5 minutes or so. If you want more details about cooking soup click here for my previous post on chicken noodle soup and all my secrets.

I added the entire carton of chicken broth and two heaping tablespoons of Better than Bouillon, plus 4 cups of water to the pot and gave it a stir.

I diced up some of the left over turkey, dark meat and all, and tossed that into the pot as well. If you are all out of turkey you can certainly use some cooked chicken.

I know this looks a little nasty but it is what made the soup extra special tonight. I saved some of the drippings from the turkey and tossed in about 1/2 of a cup or so. I thought to myself, "Good thing I didn't let them throw that out like they wanted to!" By they I mean Miles and his Momma!

I had also cooked a cup of brown rice and put that in with the drippings about 20 minutes before I wanted to serve it so it could soak up the flavor. Then 5 minutes before serving I tossed in some chopped kale and green onion.

The kale will wilt down quickly and add a beautiful green color to your soup as well as some great nutrition. This is a super great way to try kale if you are a little unsure of it. The flavor is very mild in a soup like this and it was oh so pretty.

Even though I am a bit tired of the turkey I have to say this was the best soup I have made in a long time. It must have been the drippings I saved!

We ate it with a simple tomato and cucumber salad and our favorite whole wheat oatmeal quick bread. Mmmm.....good!

This bread is super fast to throw together. Just grind up 1 cup of oats and toss in a bowl. Add 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour and 2 tsp. baking powder, and a little bit of salt to the bowl and mix it up well.

First mix 1 tablespoon of canola oil and 2 tablespoons of honey together and then add one cup of milk. Mix those together really well and pour into the dry ingredients. If you do the oil first the honey will slip right out of the spoon!

Mix until the ingredients come together and then add a little more flour with your hands and shape the dough in the bowl into an oval.

This is kind of what you are going for but you will shape it more on the baking sheet.

Spray the cookie sheet with cooking spray and shape and flatten the dough out a bit more like this. I like to score it lightly so it is easier to cut. It can be a bit crumbly around the edges when done. Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes. It will be very hard on the outside but soft and dense on the inside. We love to top it with Earth Balance and agave but whatever you like is great.


There! I have successfully blogged, baked and leveled cake for my girls small group cake decorating night, cleaned up the kitchen, and given my daughter a bath all at the same time. Maybe not the most efficient way to get things done but I am being really good at multi-tasking wouldn't you say? On to laundry.......but here are the recipes.

Turkey and Rice Soup
3 carrots peeled and chopped finely
3 large stalks celery chopped finely
1 medium onion chopped finely
2 tablespoons Earth Balance or butter substitute
2 tablespoons Better than Bouillon (chicken base)
1 48oz. carton chicken broth
4 cups water
2 cups cooked brown rice
2 cups chopped kale
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1/2 cup turkey drippings if you are lucky enough to have them.

Cook the carrots, celery, and onion with earth balance for 5-7 minutes. Add the base, water, drippings, and chicken broth to the pot. Simmer on low. 20 minutes before serving add rice. 5 minutes before serving add the kale and green onion.

Oatmeal Whole Wheat Quick Bread

Ingredients
1 cup rolled oats
1 3/4  cups whole wheat flour + more to form dough
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 ½-2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup milk

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Grind oatmeal in a food processor or blender. In a large bowl, combine oatmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, dissolve honey in vegetable oil then stir in the milk.
Combine both mixtures and stir. Add more flour if needed until a soft dough is formed. Knead a little bit in the bowl. Form the dough into a ball or small rectangle and place on a greased baking sheet.
3. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until bottom of loaf sounds hollow when tapped.


1 comment:

cleaning tipster said...

All in one food combination. I would love to try this one this coming weekends and lets see if my family will like it. Anyway thanks for sharing.