Friday, November 4, 2011

Grilled Sandwiches and Sweet Potato Fries

Well the house projects continue. In fact I can barely type these words because my front windows are open making it very cold in here right now. My windows are open because of this...
I'm painting the trim around them and they are still sticky so I am sitting here with my coat on blowing on my fingers to keep warm!

Since this was what consumed my afternoon yesterday I fixed something quick for dinner so we could then sit down and catch up on three episodes of Survivor. Thank heavens for the DVR. I am still three episodes behind on the Biggest Loser too.

Grilled cheese sandwiches used to be a go to food for us. By that I mean when there was nothing else to eat I could always make a grilled cheese sandwich. We almost always had bread and cheese in the house. Or when I didn't want to think about what to fix I made them with a bowl of canned tomoato soup. Or when you need something quick you can always resort to grilled cheese.

I've already posted before about how we have cleaned up a grilled cheese sandwich so I will make this brief and show you the pictures. You can click here for the previous post if you want the details on why this is better for you.

Sprouted grain bread with cracked pepper olive oil mayo, aged cheddar, lettuce, tomato, onion, a little pear, some dijon mustard and oregano on one slice of the bread and some earth balance spread on the outsides for grilling.


A delicious grilled portion of goodness! I have to say the pear was better the last time with spinach and swiss. I like to change it up though and try different things so that is why I put the pear on there. It never hurts to try.


We ate our sandwiches with fresh veggies and sweet potato fries! I LOVE SWEET POTATO FRIES SO MUCH! When I gave up fries I never thought I would find something that I loved even more that was actually healthy for you. I have tried many different brands but my favorite are delivered right to the front door by the Schwan's Man. Of course you could make your own as well but this is just easier.


When we make sweet potato fries we also make this sauce to dip them in. It is my attempt at recreating the sauce you get at Granite City when you order their waffle fries. Even if it isn't the same we really love it so I will keep making it.

Here is the recipe:
Granite City Dip

1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonaisse (olive oil kind)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp curry
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp worcestishire sauce

Combine all ingredients with a whisk....top with parsley flakes if desired.

Play around with the ingredients and add more of what you like. I like curry so I usually add more like a teaspoon of that and probably more worcestishire as well.

In case you are wondering sweet potato fries are low in sodium, and very low in saturated fat and cholesterol. They are also a good source of fiber, vitamin B6 and potassium, and a very good source of vitamin A, vitamin C and manganese. And of course I am baking them not frying them so tat certainly gives them a leg up!

I also made more sweet potato muffins today. I made them mini.

Everything really does taste better mini. Even Miles mentioned that he liked them better this way also. The only problem is that I have lost track of how many have gone into my mouth. It is easy to do that!

We are now off to Applebees for dinner with Evan. He got to choose tonight. Faith is at a birthday party and we are delighted to get Evan by himself tonight. It hasn't happened in nearly 6 years I think! We are looking forward to spending some time with our middle schooler!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

No comments: