Wednesday, March 14, 2012

My First Born and Millet Stuffed Peppers

Do you remember the moment they placed your first born child into your arms? Of course you do, because it isn't something you can forget, but oh how the time flies! My son is 12 years old today! Sometimes he still looks like this to me......

Here was my precious blond haired baby the morning of March 15th 2000. After the delivery he put me through I didn't get to hold him the night he was born because he went to the NICU and I went to sleep after 46 hours of labor. He was worth it though! He was the one who made me a mother.
He was the one who made me understand unconditional love.
He was the one who made me call my parents and apologize. 

He was 6 months old in this picture. I remember feeling so content at that time in my life. I loved spending my days with him and I am still super grateful that I was/am home with him full time. He still has those beautiful blue eyes.

That little baby grew into this darling boy who captured my heart long ago. There is just something special about Momma's and their boys isn't there? He played with those trains for hours upon hours everyday. So much so that I would forget about him occasionally (oops) because he would be so quiet. Not your typical boy! Trains were his first love. I am saving those trains for my grandchildren.

This is perhaps a little more typical of a boy isn't it? Goggles, underwear, and your blankie turned into a cape!

Then that boy became a big brother and my heart melted even more. Having our kids 6 years apart was not planned. We had issues. However, this sweet brother prayed for years that God would give him a sister and he believed it would happen! He didn't want a brother. He always said sister. At the ultrasound when they told us that we were having a girl and we were stunned, he was not! He said, "I know. That's what I prayed for." He said this very matter of fact. Us stupid adults! Oh the faith of a child! He has been one incredible big brother to his baby sister. I will be really happy he is 6 years older when the boys start calling for Faith around here.

But I don't have that little boy anymore. I have this handsome young man. He is such a blessing to us. I am so honored by what he has become. Monday night his prayer during our family devotion time was this, "Thank you for the parents you have given me God and for how they have guided me into the Christian I am." I'd like to say that I must have done something right, but a wise person once told me, "Don't take credit for them when they are good and then you won't have to take the blame for them when they are bad!" I think God has special plans for Evan. He is shaping him into something very incredible.

So thank you son for the 12 most wonderful years we could have ever dreamed of! You are a priceless treasure. I will cherish everyday with you for the next year until you turn 13 and all the rest of my hair turns gray!

Actually we are very much looking forward to the teenage years with Evan and his crazy, loud, silly, wild, amazing, dear, and true friends! They were all just here Friday night destroying our basement and playing video games like this....

Benefit of your dad being the youth pastor; three XBOX's set up for 6 kids. Fried brain cells and lack of sleep ensued!

Happy 12th Birthday Evan!


Now on to some food. I have already posted a stuffed pepper recipe so for more detailed instructions you can click here.

I decided this time that I wanted them to be vegetarian plus I have a new found love for millet so I cooked up the remaining millet I had in one pot and started sauteing some peppers and onions in garlic and olive oil in another pan. Then I dumped them all together because I like one pot meals not two!

I added some salt and pepper and a bit of cumin and let that heat up.

Then I added a carton of diced tomatoes and some grated pepper jack. Heat that until the cheese is nice and melted. Give it a taste at this point and add what you feel is lacking. I ended up adding a bit more cumin.

I skipped boiling my cleaned out peppers this time and I was sorry. They get so nice and tender if you do that step. Go back to my other stuffed pepper post for how to do that. Otherwise fill your peppers generously and place a cup of water in the bottom of your pan to help them soften up in the oven.

After 20 minutes in the oven I took them out and topped them with freshly grated parmesan and put them back in for about 7-8 minutes.

We had a side salad and some fresh pineapple to go with it. It was a wonderful Meatless Monday kind of meal and another great option for stuffing the peppers. The kids do great with eating the filling but they aren't as fond of the actual pepper part. I am okay with that because I had chopped up peppers in the filling anyway!

Now I must get back to celebrating my sons birthday. The day is running out of time for me and I have things to take care of. Yikes!


Millet Stuffed Peppers
6 green peppers, tops removed and saved and seeds cleaned out
3 cups cooked millet (approximate measurement)
1 each red and yellow pepper finely diced
tops of the green peppers diced finely
1/2 a large onion diced
2 cloves garlic minced
1 can of diced tomato undrained
1/2 cup reduced fat pepper jack cheese shredded
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt
olive oil
parmesan cheese to top

Remove tops of peppers and clean out. (For softer peppers submerge in boiling water for 5 minutes and remove) Dice the tops of the green peppers up and place in pan along with the red and yellow peppers, garlic, onion, and some olive oil. Saute for about 5 minutes and add in cooked millet, cumin, salt, and pepper. Heat for about 3 more minutes and add tomato and cheese. Heat until cheese is melted. Fill peppers with mixture, add 1 cup water to 9 X 13 dish, and place peppers in dish. Cook in a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. Remove and top with cheese and cook another 7-8 minutes or until cheese is melted.


2 comments:

Samantha said...

wow, that is amazing!!! My 5 year old son is like that too...my husband and I are always floored by the things that he says or knows....the other day he said, "God gave me a gift of drawing for lonely people"...my husband said. "who told you that?" and my son said. "I just know!"

Unknown said...

My son is the same way....He is great and nothing is better than when you first see your baby boy just to think that you carried that precious thing around for 9 months its great :)