Friday, March 9, 2012

A New Kind of Special K Bar

I must admit that I do love me a good Special K bar! People bring them to all kinds of gatherings around here. I am not sure if it is just a Minnesota thing or not but I know I never had them in good old Spokane. However, I don't have to tell you that they aren't healthy right? Does anyone really make them with Special K anyhow? That might actually up the nutrition just a wee bit. Well, you will be so happy to know that I recently discovered a superior alternative! I finally made them this morning and have been so excited to share them with you all day!

This recipe came from Samantha at Color Wheel Meals. She has the most fun ideas on her blog. Just now when I went there to copy the link she had rainbow fruit leather! That would be one stellar idea for St. Patrick's Day don't you think? When she posted this a week or so ago I instantly thought they would be a healthy alternative to Special K Bars and I got so excited. So here is what you need.

Banana chips, sunflower seeds, and oatmeal. You will grind all 3 of these up to make your base. I accidentally bought honey roasted sunflower seeds so regular is just fine.

Then you need some sea salt, pure maple syrup, and some Sunbutter or almond butter. You also need some vanilla and I forgot to get that in the picture. I actually used half Sunbutter and half almond butter today just so I didn't drain either contain too much.
I suppose brown rice syrup would also work in place of maple syrup.

This is the ground up banana chips, sunflower seeds, and oatmeal. Get this as fine as you can in your food processor.

Then you will add the other ingredients to the processor until you get this nice crumbly mix that holds together. I pressed mine in this circular pampered chef stone ware but Samantha recommended an 8 x 8 pan. Hers turned out deliciously thick like the bars you are used to seeing but I was trying to stretch mine a little further so I could give some to someone for their birthday and still have plenty for us.

Press the mixture firmly down with the back of the spoon to get it even and smooth.

Then melt 1 cup of dark chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second intervals. Samantha used dairy free chocolate chips because they have allergies but if you aren't vegan or don't have allergies then you must use dark chocolate so you get the actual health benefit that chocolate can have. Spread the melted chocolate on top and place it in the freezer for about 10 minutes to set up.


Then slice into heaven and enjoy! I promise I made the rest look prettier when I cut into them. I just couldn't wait to taste it!

How many can I eat before it is considered gluttony? I shared with a friend who stopped by so that cancels out at least 3 of them right?


So we bloggers don't like you to steal our recipes and not give credit to the creator of the recipe. So please go and visit the link by clicking here on Chocolate Banana Sunbutter Bars. Color Wheel Meals has made my life better today with this absolutely awesome portion of goodness. My only changes to her recipe was to use a combination of both almond butter and Sunbutter and to use dark chocolate chips instead of a dairy free chocolate chip.

Recipe: From Samantha at Color Wheel Meals

3 cups banana chips ground into flour
1/2 cup oats ground into flour
1/3 cup sunflower seeds ground into flour
1/2 cup Sunbutter or almond butter
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 tbsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 cup dark chocolate chips

Grind first 3 ingredients one at a time in a food processor. Place them all back in to the processor and add next 4 ingredients. Process until it begins to stick together. Press into a pan with the back of a spoon. (Use an 8 x 8 pan or use bigger pan for thinner bars) Melt chocolate chips in microwave in 30 second increments until completely melted. Spread over mixture and place in the freezer for 10 minutes. Slice and enjoy.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Wow, Thanks for the blog love!!!!! :) Glad you enjoyed them!!!