Monday, September 26, 2011

Cabbage Slaw with Fennel Seed Dressing

If you read yesterdays post then you heard how much I love Sunday night small group and the feasting that happens there! It is generally my one night of the week to indulge in whatever my little heart desires but I usually bring something healthy also just to balance us all out. However, my friend Sarah has been my little protege recently and she brought an amazing salad last night that I was requested to share with you all by a couple people. So way to go Sarah! On losing weight and bringing the favorite healthy dish last night! I too needed to use up some cabagge I had in the fridge so this worked out perfectly tonight.
It is such a pretty salad especially in my new white bowl!

Sarah found the recipe here on Kalyn's Kitchen which is one of my favorite websites. Kalyn eats a South Beach diet and has been doing so for several years now. I love the website so much because she has so many recipes and she has them broken down into categories so it is easy to search for what you need.

But here is a simple version of what to do if you want to make this salad. Start with one small head of cabbage and chop it up to whatever size you prefer. I used half of a red and half of a green cabbage. Kalyn's recipe calls for Napa cabbage.

I like color in my food so that is why I opted for both kinds of cabbage. Plus they were both in my fridge waiting to be used up.

Then I grated two carrots on the large side of my grater and added that to this mix. I washed them but didn't peel them because you leave some of the nutrients that way and because they were organic it didn't really matter. It also saves time and doesn't dirty up your peeler.

Looking even prettier now!

Sarah added sliced almonds and celery to her salad last night and I thought those were two great additions. I didn't have any celery but did add the almonds. Next time I am also going to add some of my favorite raisins from Whole Foods. Kalyn's recipe also called for green onion which would have been great in there as well.

I served this delicious coleslaw with pork tenderloin topped with a tomato marmalade, roasted vegetables, and sliced apples and oranges.

Here is the recipe for the dressing:

Dressing:
1 tsp. fennel seeds, crushed in mortar and pestle or with a heavy rolling pin
1/2 cup mayo or light mayo (I used half Greek yogurt and half mayo)
2 T apple cider vinegar
1 T sugar, Splenda, or agave nectar ( I used Stevia)
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. Vege-Sal (vegetable seasoned salt) or salt
1 tsp. celery seed (optional)
fresh ground black pepper to taste
Crush fennel seeds in mortar and pestle or with rolling pin. Combine crushed fennel, mayo, vinegar, sweetener of your choice, Dijon mustard, Vege-sal, and celery seed if using. Whisk together and let dressing sit while you chop veggies.

One child gobbled dinner and ate pretty much everything on the plate, one husband gave me a kiss and said, "Very good job, hun!" One other child sat at the table for a long time and will not be getting anything else the rest of the night. This child does this just about every time I serve meat however so I didn't take it too personally. Too bad for this child that there are leftover apple turnovers from last night. More for me I guess!




No comments: