Thursday, September 15, 2011

CONVENIENCE

Convenience. That word is important to a most of us. Aren't we always looking for a way to make things more convenient, better, faster, etc. It is my nature and my personality to be doing that all the time. In fact I even wrote a paper about this very subject in college one time. But convenience food is something that I have had to remove from my life. No more boxed dinners, or rice, or pasta salad kits, or frozen entrees that make dinner really fast! I have a million reasons why but we won't go into that. Changing the way you entirely think about food is hard though and I have learned that I still need some convenience in my life when it comes to dinner or this lifestyle might never last. So enter the Schwan's man! That is correct. You heard me right. The Schwan's man. This afternoon when I was dragging a little bit because my allergies have gotten worse I was dreading making dinner until I remembered this was in my freezer.


I really don't like fish. Miles said he couldn't believe that I was cooking fish for dinner! I have been trying to be a big girl lately and have actually fixed fish 3 or 4 times this summer. I know it is very good for you, very lean and has those omega-3's we all need, and I am practicing what I preach about getting kids to like something. Just keep feeding it too them! So Tilapia loins it was. I have to say they were pretty good. I didn't even need tarter sauce!

We cooked ours according to the directions, on the grill in a foil packet. This even comes with a seasoning packet and you mix it up they way you choose. We picked the first one with olive oil, lemon juice, and melted butter and then topped it with some fresh lemon slices.


If I buy these again I think I will try it with the stewed tomatoes.

It has taken a little time for me to get used to the idea that there won't be any frozen pizzas in my freezer for those busy nights but I have learned there are still ways to have a quick and healthy dinner or lunch for that matter. Just an FYI the Schwan's man also has the best Turkey and Spinach meatballs! My kids devour them. He also has lots of veggies and frozen fruit that I love to have on hand as well as no-sugar added fudgesicles and several other things I purchase on a regular basis. Just look for the Live Smart logo. He also has lots to NOT buy so don't be tempted by his dollar off this or that sale!

I served our dinner tonight with some edamame I had in the freezer, cut up strawberries, and this butter bean salad/side dish I found here at Kalyn's kitchen. I love her website and all the new things she continually comes up with. The salad was delicious and easy to make but finding canned butter beans not so easy in Willmar. I did finally find some frozen ones at Cub. I might try this recipe with some chickpeas or Great Northern beans next time just because I prefer those.

It was a pretty salad and my kids did eat it. It has sun-dried tomato, Greek olives, fresh basil, and feta with a basil vinaigrette dressing.




It has taken a little time for me to adjust to the lack of certain conveniences but I have also learned to look at food differently. What could be more convenient then a banana or an apple that you don't even have to peel. A sliced up cucumber or baby carrots are pretty fast at lunch. It is pretty easy to spread some Laughing Cow cheese on a whole wheat tortilla and throw some spinach and turkey in there. Store bought hummus is another quick fix for me. I prefer my homemade hummus but Sabra brand is my favorite from the store. It is great on veggies or spread on a wrap. I also keep leftover homemade soup frozen in the freezer for those busy days and just throw together a side salad to go with it. I also LOVE Morningstar products! They have the best veggie burgers. If you are skeptical try their Grillers one or the Spicy Black Bean Burger to start with. I just top it with avocado and salsa for a delicious very quick meal. I also LOVE frozen blueberries for a quick snack or in addition to a meal at lunch time. So if you see me walking around with blue fingers or blue teeth you will now know why. Hmmm..... sounds pretty good right now. I think I'll go have some for dessert tonight with a cup of decaf tea to help my sinus issues!

If you have quick, healthy, convenient, meal ideas I would love for you to share!

No comments: