Monday, September 5, 2011

What Do You Guys Eat?

That is probably the most asked question that Miles and I get asked these days. He likes to reply nuts and berries! When I recently invited my dear friend's husband over for dinner while she was gone he replied to my invite like this, "I don't know. What are you fixing? Roots and leaves?" To which I replied, "Yes!" He came anyway and he ate the roots and leaves and he even ate seconds of some things! I know that when people see you have some success in the weight loss department they want you to tell them you took a magic pill and they can too. However, we all know deep down inside there is no magic pill and we have to painfully admit to ourselves the truth; it will take work! Miles and I have also discovered a secret though and that is that the work is quite enjoyable and worth it! Here is the proof I reluctantly post.
We've gone from this (don't hate me Miles) to.....
this and we feel even better!
We often remark after dinner how much better our food is then it ever used to be and how we are always trying new things instead of eating spaghetti and tacos all the time. We are both always on the lookout for new and healthy recipes which has also given us lots to talk about. Miles will be reading Runner's Magazine quite often and come to me with some new great recipe he has found. That magazine does have the best ideas even if you aren't a runner! I know I am blessed to have a husband who likes new and different things just in case you were wondering or thinking how yours would never eat this way. But he has come a long way!!!!!!!!!! So there is hope for your picky family members too. I love to tell the following story about that. I was on the phone and fixing us some lunch one Saturday when he left to drop Evan off at a friends. He came home with a McDonald's sack in his hand and I said, "What are doing with that? I was making us some lunch." He replies back in a somewhat frustrated childlike tone, "I CAN"T EAT ANOTHER SALAD!" My friend on the phone died laughing, as did I. Jump forward a few months and this happened. My husband walked through the door after work and promptly says to me, "I ate lunch with the quilter's at church today. I NEED you to fix me a salad for dinner. I HAVE to eat light tonight!" No offense to the quilters at church because they are the most wonderfully, sweet, funny, great cooks, around and they love on my husband. But their food is maybe not quite up to my health standards. They like to tease Miles that they won't tell me what he has eaten. I love them! So that brings me to today's portion of goodness, the reason for this post afterall. I thought I would share last nights dinner with you. Keep in mind we had eaten a rather large lunch so we weren't that hungry.
This was a fresh mozzarella and tomato salad. I used heirloom tomatoes from the Farmer's Market, sliced fresh mozzarella, and fresh basil. Then I mixed a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar with some oregano and basil and poured it over to marinate a little before eating it. Miles' comment: "This is my favorite!" Any kind of tomatoes will do though especially if you are fortunate to have some in your garden!
I had some leftover black quiona, edamame, and a roasted red pepper sauce I had made for another recipe so I mixed it all together and added a little olive oil also. Just trying to use the leftovers! This was to die for! I know quinoa is a new thing for most people and maybe some time I will do a whole post about it because it is literally my favorite food!
And finally a bowl full of delicious cherries! Don't try to put those pits down your disposal. That may or may not have happened here. And someone may or may not have had to stick their hand in the disposal to get them out.

So that was dinner last night! Tonight's dinner will be some homemade soup with some black lentils I got that I have been wanting to try and my homemade whole wheat oatmeal bread. It's the nice cool weather that has put me in the mood for some soup! We will also have some green beans and fruit that I need to use up.

Tomorrow I will be making Back to School Black Bean Brownies. Stay tuned for that recipe and the pictures of the smiles on my kids' faces as they eat them.

No comments: