Sunday, September 4, 2011

FIRSTS

So today is my first blog post. It won't be the only first for me this week. I will be sending my first born to middle school for the first time this week. I will also be sending my baby to kindergarten for the first time on Thursday. I feel like we need a sign posted on our door that says BIG CHANGES AHEAD! I have been at home for over 11 years with these kids which has been an absolute blessing, a true portion of goodness! Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to some freedom and having Fridays off together with my husband but I love having my kids at home with me! There will be other firsts for all of us I am sure as well this week. First day emotions of a middle schooler and a drama queen and their parents, first time having 7 different teachers, first recess, first moments of absolute quietness, first homework, first school lunch, and the list could go on.....Perhaps you remember these moments or you are going to have some of your own "firsts" this week too and you can relate!

My sweet little angels

So that brings me back to the reason for this post today. In preparation for these big firsts I have been thinking about what I am going to pack in school lunches this year. I haven't had to do much of that because my oldest chooses school lunch most often. However, school lunch isn't the healthiest way to go about things however conveinient it might be. So we will be doing a mixture of both this year so my kids can feel like they fit in somewhat with their friends yet still have some of the portions of goodness that mom orders! So the following is a list of ideas I have been coming up with, a portion of goodness for you too!


                                                 HEALTHY SCHOOL LUNCH IDEAS
apple bran muffins, grapes, air popped popcorn, carrot sticks, quiona crackers with reduced fat cheese, pumpkin bread, blueberries, raisins, brown rice with chicken and peanut sauce, squeezable applesauce, freeze dried fruit, edamame, whole wheat tortilla wraps (all natural peanut butter or almond butter and sugar free jelly, or pb and banana, or Laughing Cow spreadable cheese and turkey with spinach), nuts, hummus with parmesan pita chips, granola salad (granola mixed with pb or agave and dried fruit), fresh fruit salad, Nut-Thins, organic brown rice marshmallow treats (Trader Joe's), mini star sandwhiches (whole wheat bread with turkey and cheese cut with star cookie cutter) mini whole wheat bagels and whipped cream cheese, homemade trailmix, whole wheat waffles, yougurt, cheese sticks, cucumbers, energy balls, mandarin oranges, sliced red pepper, quinoa salad, olives, banana chips, fruit leather, grilled cheese on sprouted grain bread, cereal with dried fruit, whole grain crackers and dip, whole grain cookie, air popped chips such as Skinny Fries, mango, Clif Kids Z-bars and fruit ropes, dark chocolate pb wraps or sandwhiches (We use Dark Chocolate Dreams by Peanut Butter &Co.) pizza on whole wheat english muffin, cherry or grape tomatoes, pineapple, zucchini sticks and dip, homemade baked/dried apple slices, tea sandwhiches (cream cheese and parsley or avocado spread), apples, Annie's organic aged real cheddar mac and cheese, whole wheat pasta salad or pasta with tomato sauce, sesame almonds, bananas (with a note from mom written on the outside of it for fun). And because most of us are visual learners/rememberers here are some pictures of some of the mentioned products we love.
This is the cute little lunch box I get to pack this year!

BRING ON THE FIRSTS!
Now because we all get started somewhere I have to post a link to one of the sources of my inspiration. She and her husband were college friends of mine and their family has to be the most healthy eaters I know. So take a look at what she packs in her kids' school lunch. You rock Jenny! I so appreciate your blog and all the helpful ideas I get from reading it! http://veganandsoforth.blogspot.com/search/label/School%20Lunches

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Ahh, thanks!!! You rock, too. I only have a few real life friends who have blogs, so I'm excited that you started one!

Great ideas, and also, I like the owl lunchbox.

Your other post made me smile and reminded me of the debate Ryan and I had in college about whether we'd take our kids to McDonald's, which is funny to him now. That's great that you and Miles are on the same page.