Thursday, September 22, 2011

Garden Goodness

I am very fortunate to be able to have a girls day today in the cities to do a little shopping and go to the Parade of Homes! So I thought I would just do a quick post this morning since I didn't have a chance to yesterday. I am very aware that time for all these wonderful fresh veggies from the garden is running out! My neighbors' tomatoes will soon be done and no one will bring over a bundle of cucumbers to me anymore like this........

I will miss these kinds of unexpected deliveries!

So in case you have some extra cucumbers on your hands or you just love them and want to try this here is what you can do with them. Make what is called refrigerator pickles! Just peel them and slice them along with one onion sliced into nice rings.

No perfection necessary. It's really just the flavor you are looking for and the fact that these stay good in the fridge for a long time!

I know I have a hard time with exact measurements because honestly I don't measure a lot so keep in mind that I am guessing here. In your bowl add about 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 2 cups water, and 1/3 cup Stevia, and some celery seed. Stir that all around and give it a taste. Add more vinegar or water according to your taste or even more Stevia. Miles and I love vinegar so I add probably a whole cup of it, but for reasons I cannot divulge here my children do not care for vinegar so I don't make them eat these!


Give them a good stir to mix all the celery seed around and then let them sit in the fridge for a few hours to absorb all the flavor. They are very delicious! But hurry before all the garden goodness is finished for the season!



No comments: